Odd ReturnsZero function problem -- Re: defining classes based on return

From: Robinson Tiemuqinke
Subject: Odd ReturnsZero function problem -- Re: defining classes based on returning results of (shell) commands?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 01:18:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

 Thanks for example. But which version of cfengine are
you running?

 I'm using cfengine 2.1.18 and the ReturnsZero
function always thinks that the included commands
returns zero (success)!! -- pretty Odd and Funny!

 See my example:
  netBoot = ( ReturnsZero(/bin/sh -c
"PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin ;
    mount | egrep '^/dev/ram.*?[ \t]+on[ \t]*/[ \t]*'
> /dev/null 2>&1") )
  localBoot = ( ReturnsZero(/bin/sh -c
"PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin ;
    mount | egrep '^/dev/[sh]da.*?[ \t]+on[ \t]*/[
\t]*' > /dev/null 2>&1") )

 Only one shoud be true, either from ramdisk
(/dev/ram?) or local disk (/dev/[sh]da) my machines
will find its root file system. But see what? cfengine
sets both netBoot and localBoot classes at the same
time on any machines!

 from command line we can see that one command returns
exit code 0, anther one returns 1 if we run the above
encolsed commands manually.

 Please help.