help-debbugs

bug#11568: 24.0.97; dired-aux.el menu items not there. `C-h w' is wrong

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: bug#11568: 24.0.97; dired-aux.el menu items not there. `C-h w' is wrong.
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 18:09:59 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 20:02:27 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I was not as clear as I wanted to be in my report.
> >
> > It is normal for `dired-do-chown' and `dired-do-chgrp' not to be on the
> > menu for
> > MS Windows.  The bug is that `C-h w' says they are on the menu.
> >
> > It would probably be more normal for those commands not simply to be
> > defined and
> > raise an error on Windows, but to simply not be defined for Windows.  That
> > way,
> > there would be no disconnect between the key bindings and the menu (and C-h
> > w).
>
> Aha -- a W32-specific bug?  Is this still present on the trunk?

No, it's not a Windows-specific bug.  And yes, it's still present.

The bug is that any menu item that has a visibility spec is mentioned
as a binding by "C-h w" even if the visibility spec currently mandates
that the item be removed from the menu.  There's nothing
Windows-specific here.  In this particular case, the visibility spec
says that the menu item for chown should not be displayed on
MS-Windows and MS-DOS, but that's just one instance of a more general
issue.