help-debbugs

Re: Unable to deliver email reply to bug

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Unable to deliver email reply to bug
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 17:09:22 +0200

Alfredo Finelli <alf@computationes.de> writes:

> Hi,

> I recently reported an emacs bug to debbugs.gnu.org:
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57771
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2022-09/msg01147.html
>
> The original bug report was delivered by the email system and correctly
> accepted by the debbugs server.  Then the maintainer replied, as you can
> see in the thread, and I had to reply back.  My second message had a To:
> header to the maintainer (a gnu.org email address) and a Cc: header to the
> bug email address 57771@debbugs.gnu.org.
>
> The maintainer received my message correctly but after some hours my
> mailer-daemon informed me that the message to debbugs had not been
> delivered because it had been delayed.  As you can see in the thread
> archive of the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list my message is still shown as
> "not available", although it has already been replied to.
>
> I would like to understand what happened and if there is anything I can do
> on my side to improve my interaction with debbugs for future bug reports.

All mails to debbugs.gnu.org go through mailman. Messages from known
senders are delivered immediately, the other messages are given to the
moderator(s), which must approve the message.

Errors could happen, perhaps your message hasn't been approved. Don't
know.

I've checked the debbugs.gnu.org pending messages interface, there's
nothing left.

In the archives on the server, there are messages
<87r10fmzcv.fsf@computationes.de> (your submission) and
<83czbz45z2.fsf@gnu.org>, <83fsgu2lqv.fsf@gnu.org> (the responses from Eli).

Your message to Eli (the Emacs maintainer) didn't go via
debbugs.gnu.org, that's why he received it independently.

So let's assume there has been an accident in approving. Pls contact us
if this happens again.

> Best regards.

Best regards, Michael.