help-debbugs

Re: Unable to deliver email reply to bug

From: Alfredo Finelli
Subject: Re: Unable to deliver email reply to bug
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 18:40:39 +0200

> Alfredo Finelli <alf@computationes.de> writes:
>> [...]
>> I would like to understand what happened and if there is anything I can do
>> on my side to improve my interaction with debbugs for future bug reports.

> All mails to debbugs.gnu.org go through mailman. Messages from known
> senders are delivered immediately, the other messages are given to the
> moderator(s), which must approve the message.
>
> Errors could happen, perhaps your message hasn't been approved. Don't
> know.
>
> I've checked the debbugs.gnu.org pending messages interface, there's
> nothing left.
>
> In the archives on the server, there are messages
> <87r10fmzcv.fsf@computationes.de> (your submission) and
> <83czbz45z2.fsf@gnu.org>, <83fsgu2lqv.fsf@gnu.org> (the responses from Eli).
>
> Your message to Eli (the Emacs maintainer) didn't go via
> debbugs.gnu.org, that's why he received it independently.
>
> So let's assume there has been an accident in approving. Pls contact us
> if this happens again.

Thank you for your reply!

My message had ID <87k0669zp2.fsf@computationes.de>

Correct me if I am wrong, I thought email messages are first SMTP delivered
to the server where mailman resides and then eventually moderated.  In my
case instead the message was refused in the SMTP phase, and maybe this is
the reason why you did not find it.  This is what my MTA says:

   A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
   recipients after more than 4 hours on the queue on www125.your-server.de.

   The message identifier is:     1oYMuo-0002kX-46
   The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

         57771@debbugs.gnu.org
           host debbugs.gnu.org [209.51.188.43]

   No action is required on your part. Delivery attempts will continue for
   some time, and this warning may be repeated at intervals if the message
   remains undelivered. Eventually the mail delivery software will give up,
   and when that happens, the message will be returned to you.

   Reporting-MTA: dns; www125.your-server.de
   Action: delayed
   Final-Recipient: rfc822;57771@debbugs.gnu.org
   Remote-MTA: dns; debbugs.gnu.org

This made me think about some kind of greylisting, that’s all.

Best regards.