help-debbugs

Re: controlling how long before archiving?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: controlling how long before archiving?
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 17:05:18 +0100

Felix Lechner via "General discussion for the tracker at
debbugs.gnu.org" <help-debbugs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Karl,

Hi Felix,

> That could probably be implemented on a per-project basis. After all,
> projects manage all other bug statuses independently, as well.
>
> The Debbugs version in Debian uses another solution. As distribution,
> they use release-based criteria for all their shipped packages. The
> rules are arcane but, as an example, release-critical bugs have to be
> fixed in Debian's stable release before they can be archived. [1] That
> can extend the deadline by the usual time between freezes, which can be
> up to a year and half.

In our Debbugs version we have also release-based criteria, I've seen
this in the code. But sincr no project uses it (IMO), it is dead
code. Perhaps you can find a trick how to exploit this.

>> For my use, I find it would be useful to wait longer before
>> archiving.
>
> Like you, I would probably prefer a longer delay but I also never
> thought it was a big deal.
>
> Archived bugs are a novelty to all who see them for the first time. The
> step is largely an anti-spam measure. Anyone can comment on bugs.
>
> What would be a good timeframe for archiving your bugs, please?
>
> We could also make dealing with archived bugs more convenient in other
> ways. For example, an upgrade to a more recent Debbugs version might
> allow us to use the "reopen" command to unarchive bugs
> automatically. [2]

Anything goes. But it must be implemented, and I doubt somebody will do
this with the current software version on debbugs.gnu.org. But if Felix
comes to a better approch wich his activities, why not.

> Kind regards
> Felix

Best regards, Michael.