help-emacs-windows

Re: [h-e-w] Niggling file problems

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Niggling file problems
Date: 06 Feb 2002 17:54:34 +0100

Hi Dave,

"Hollingdale, Dave" <address@hidden> writes:
> 1) There is no problem picking up files from the Unix system, I am
> happy with the way in which I can type in a file name in upper or
> lower case and the file will be picked up. But when I am creating a
> file, I want it to be created as typed e.g. I want the file DMH to
> be created as such, but it is created as dmh

Emacs *does* create files with names as given (I just tested this with
21.1, and I'm pretty sure 20.7 also does that).  I think it's more
likely that your Samba installation is configured to use lowercase for
file names that are given in all caps.  You can test this: Open a DOS
shell, change drive and directory to your drive E: and execute

  echo > TEST

Afterwards execute

  dir

and see what files exist.

Another misunderstanding could be that even if the file is named
"TEST", Windows Explorer will still show its name as "Test".  That is
normal, it is called the "pretty name" by Windows, I belive.

> 2) When picking up a file e.g. E:/a/b/c/filename the file
> //machina/a/b/c/filename is picked up instead of
> //machina/users/me/a/b/c/filename.

That is also normal for Windows networking.  I don't know why you
think that your drive "E:" actually points to "\\machina\users\me" but
with Samba and the Windows networking protocol that's actually not
possible AFAIK.  Any redirected drive has to point to a so-called
"share" on the server.  In your case the server seems to be "machina"
and the "share" seems to be "users".  "me" is just a directory on that
share and can not be mapped to a drive directly.  Your system
administrator can create a new share "me" on that "me" directory on
"machina", but than you would have to map to "\\machina\me".
"\\machina\users\me" just can't work with the Windows networking
protocol.

so long, benny
--
Energis-ISION