help-emacs-windows

Re: [h-e-w] FW: Niggling file problems

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] FW: Niggling file problems
Date: 07 Feb 2002 18:00:57 +0100

Hi Dave,

"Hollingdale, Dave" <address@hidden> writes:
> > When I edit E:/a/b/c/filename from emacs, I had assumed it had
> > picked up /a/b/c/filename because it is read-only and the one
> > under my E: drive is writable. I have just found the emacs command
> > 'toggle-read-only', I used this, changed the file and wrote the
> > file out correctly, so the problem was not that the wrong file was
> > being picked up, but that the mode in which it was picked up is
> > read-only instead of writable.

I don't want to heap all the problems of the world on poor Samba ;-),
but it's possible that this is also a problem of your Samba
configuration.  I'd think that Emacs decides on whether to treat a
file as read-only by looking at the files attributes.  If Samba
reports strange (or plain wrong) attributes for a file it's possible
that Emacs understands them wrongly.  If this is the case you may want
to change your Samba config.  Or there may be a way to tell Emacs to
treat all files on "E:" as writable.

so long, benny
--
Energis-ISION