help-emacs-windows

Re: [h-e-w] extra newline in minibuffer causes grief

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] extra newline in minibuffer causes grief
Date: 06 Mar 2002 21:46:01 +0000

"David J. Biesack" <address@hidden> writes:

> On this XP machine, I'm noticing strange behavior. Whenever a message
> gets echoed to the minibuffer (i.e. (message "test")), the minibuffer
> grows by an extra line.

What is your default font?  ("C-u C-x =" will tell you).  Some buggy
fonts appear to define the baseline at the bottom of the character
cell, so if there are any descenders (qypj) on the line, the
minibuffer needs to resize to avoid chopping them off at the bottom.

Also Cleartype can cause problems with Emacs's calculations of font
size, if you have that enabled (you can tell when it is enabled, since
your text will look gray and blurry instead of black and sharp).

--
Jason Rumney