help-emacs-windows

Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:28:42 +0200

Phil Betts wrote:
I can't comment on any EmacsW32 documentation, because I've never
risked using EmacsW32.  [Perhaps it's a misconception, but I get the
feeling it would compromise my current set-up, which has evolved over about 20 years to work consistently, regardless of OS, window-system (or not), emacs flavour or version (including version 18, which can still be found in the wild!) The very last thing I want is something
that makes "the keyboard and other things in Emacs function more like
they do usually in MS Windows programs" whatever that means - to
search, do you press C-f (Word), F3 (regedit) or S-C-f (Outlook)?]
Thanks for pointing this possible misconception out. EmacsW32 does not alter any key-binding without asking. And it is very easy to revert them (using Customize or a special page for just this).

There is a bit more to choose at installation of EmacsW32, for example "windows integration". This will create windows shortcuts to start Emacs and/or edit files. It will also add gnuserv startup (in site-lisp.el).

Is this EmacsW32 specific documentation, or part of the main emacs manual? If the latter, I'll make a note to check it out next time I upgrade.
What Eli edited could not be EmacW32 specific documentation since EmacsW32 is not a part of Emacs but rather a couple of other things: an add-on, installer, slightly patched Emacs if you want that etc.

Maybe I could have found a less confusing name but it is quite hard to find good descriptive short names.