help-emacs-windows

Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:38:30 +0100

Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

>     smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: Emacs does not support TLS, and
> no external `gnutls-cli.exe' program was found
>
> Running locate-file, I see
>
>    (locate-file "gnutls-cli.exe" exec-path)
>    "c:/Cygwin/bin/gnutls-cli.exe"

This error message is totally wrong now, because we redefined to be:

(defun starttls-available-p ()
  "Say whether the STARTTLS programs are available."
  (and (not (memq system-type '(windows-nt ms-dos)))
       (executable-find (if starttls-use-gnutls
                            starttls-gnutls-program
                          starttls-program))))

That is, if we're under Windows, we just give up, because gnutls-cli
doesn't work, because we don't have signals under Windows.

So I'll fix the error message to be less misleading.