help-emacs-windows

Re: Suggest installer optionally set ALTERNATE_EDITOR

From: Juan José García-Ripoll
Subject: Re: Suggest installer optionally set ALTERNATE_EDITOR
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 11:12:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> Judging by what I see on reddit, a lot of people start a new Emacs
> session each time they have some job for Emacs.  Beats me why they do
> it, but they do...

I am one of those users. There are many reasons why I have to do it
regularly:

- I need to run Gnus for email and unfortunately it still blocks Emacs
  for appreciable periods of time when updating IMAP buffers.

- When editing software projects with some type of language server
  protocol, such as eglot, it is not possible to have two projects
  coexit. Or at least it becomes cumbersome. Having multiple instances,
  each for a software project, seems to agree better with this software.

- In some instances, such as dealing with large sets of notes (e.g. an
  org-mode based database) it enables more focused work. In those cases
  may end up with tens of notes open, and buffer switching becomes
  cumbersome if I also have software projects open. In this case I prefer
  to keep a separate instance just for those notes.

YMMV

--
Juan José García Ripoll
http://juanjose.garciaripoll.com