help-emacs-windows

New Surface computer, several problems

From: Allen Windhorn
Subject: New Surface computer, several problems
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 10:53:37 -0600

I have a new computer, running Windows 11.

(1) My old (crufty) .emacs file no longer runs. I would like the feature that asks for confirmation before closing the last buffer - can anyone recommend code for that.

(2) when Emacs starts, the font is #5 and the window is tiny. I can't figure how to set it to a larger font and stay that way.

(3) Also, the icons on the menu are very small.

(4) when I try to print, I get something like "permission denied: Epson RS480".

(5) the default directory is c:emacs-xx.x despite having HOME set to my home directory.

and (6) I can't double-click a text file and have it open in Emacs any more.

Thanks for any advice.

Regards, Allen
--
Allen Windhorn