Re: Locations suggest -- we're stupid

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Locations suggest -- we're stupid
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:00:07 +0100

At 20:47 +0200 2002/01/06, Nikos Balkanas wrote:
>However, it is a good suggestion. Therefore I'll have to ask again: Using
>linenumber, the input filename, a literal string (6-7 chars), and even throw
>in the state (for error reporting), do we need anything more? I work on
>Unix, using vi as the editor. Columns wouldn't help me, the editor doesn't
>support them. On the other hand any editor can find a literal string.

That other type of information in diagnostics when say developing plugins
for IDE (integrated developments systems). Apart for the one I use,
Metrowerks, which exists on Mac, MSOS, and UNIX, I think it would be common
to have similar setups on most UNIX's (I know HP has one).

>One could say that flex should do it automatically for us.

One could only say that Flex should help to provide such information, with
the capacity of turning it off if it slows down the lexer.

> Then it is just a
>matter of convenience. Over the years what you describe as "hassle" or
>Broeker describes as "nightmare", has become a second nature to me, very
>transparent and fast.

Computer languages as a whole are developed as a convenience to the user.
-- Before that, one used to program using binary machine code directly.

> I consider error reporting more important than the
>actual code itself.

Why don't you write a program that does only the error reporting then? :-)

> I like to have absolute control over it.

The point must be to increase the control over the error messages.

> If any
>"conveniences" are implemented, I would like to see them completely
>separated from the main code, so that the rest of us don't get penalized
>(performance wise) for it.

That is, Flex can support certain types of data, and the programmer can
pick and choose.

  Hans Aberg