Re: Location revisited, column tracking...

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: Location revisited, column tracking...
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:41:52 -0400

On Tuesday, 30 July 2002,17:20 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> I'm referring to people who write scanners for real world projects.

We've had a number of requests that went like this:

I am working on project X. project X has these certain needs. flex
seems like a good choice, but there are these certain problems.

Mostly, when we get these requests, if it makes sense for us and flex
(or if it doesn't really matter too much one way or the other), then
we say, sure, we'll do that thing(s) for you.

> The misunderstanding keeps going on.  I'm sorry about this situation.

As maintainer, I say the following things:

1: flex will have some sort of optional location/stream tracking
feature in the medium future. (The near future ends with the release
of flex-2.6 which, I swear, is right around the corner)

2: We will, of course, do our best to make sure that flex does not
suffer at all in terms of performance speed or scanner size or any
such relevant thing for those who opt not to use the location tracking
feature.

3: We will make sure that those who opt to use the location/stream
tracking feature do not pay excessively for it.

4: For any such feature request, #2 and #3 apply if we implement such
a feature. We will decide on the merrit of feature inclusion based on
the good of flex, the price of tea in China and any other criteria
which we deem appropriate, amusing or otherwise necessary.

5: We always welcome requests, patches and restaurant suggestions.

thanks, all. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

--Will