Re: still more 2.5.11 comments

From: Bruce Lilly
Subject: Re: still more 2.5.11 comments
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:39:12 -0400

John Millaway wrote:

And you have apparently failed to account for the presence of the
generated header files in the disk buffer cache.

The point was to ballpark the addition of one thousand headers. All 57MB of
headers certainly did not reside in the disk cache.

Why not?  Your disk statistics seem to show a 128 MB buffer:
/dev/hda1:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  2.51 seconds =51.00 MB/sec

[...]
In any case, this debate is now moot. You'll be relieved to know that the
latest revision of flex omits the user actions, dfa tables, and function
declarations from the generated headers. The resulting headers should be of
constant size, approximately 23KB.  -John

Umm, *some* function declarations are obviously desired; that's what
started this thread.  Anyway, that's all the 2.5.11 comments that I have
-- I look forward to checking out the relevant changes in 2.5.12.

Best regards,
  Bruce Lilly