RE: Flex 2.5.19 native compile for Win32

From: dan.johnson2
Subject: RE: Flex 2.5.19 native compile for Win32
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 18:07:12 -0500

Thank you! I'll give it a try!

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Lilly [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 5:54 PM
To: W. L. Estes
Cc: dan.johnson2; address@hidden

W. L. Estes wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 September 2002,17:32 -0500, dan.johnson2 wrote:
>

>>I am looking for guidance on how to make the most recent Flex version
>>compile and run on Win2k. I have seen the 2.5.4a version with the MSVC
make,
>>but it still looks like a substantial port effort to get it to run for
Win32
>>(with Flexdef.h mods as a start), so I'm hoping I'm missing something
>>simple. I am using MSVC, and I also use Borland 5.5.
>

> I can't offer much specific advice as we develop flex on platforms
> where more-or-less posix compliant tools are available as a part of
> the operating system. I've seen a couple of flavors of unix-on-windows
> mentioned on this list, but I don't want to be seen as recommending
> them as I don't know enough to recommend them or not.
>

>>Also, when installing, does configure work on windows machines (MS-DOS)?
I'm
>>missing some steps on how to install and run these programs that were
>>probably developed on Unix/Linux machines on my MS-DOS machine. Any help,
or
>>if you could point me to some resource pages I'd greatly appreciate it.
>

> configure wants a bourne-style shell to run. again, see the remarks
> above about tools.
>
> --Will

2.5.4a builds cleanly under UWIN on MS Windows platforms.  See
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin

2.5.19 needs to have a bug in tables.c patched; see a recent message
on the help-flex list.

UWIN comes with a full set of libraries and utilities, including
ksh93 and can use gcc, MSVC++, or Borland's compiler.