Re: Nested comments

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Nested comments
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:53:00 +0200

At 20:15 +0200 2003/07/02, Hans-Bernhard Broeker wrote:
>>   1. The rule could possibly match a newline, and
>>   2. The rule matches frequently or matches a lot
>>      of text, and
>>   3. Your parser has such low overhead that a rescan
>>      of yytext would even be noticable.
>
>AFAICS, of these conditions at least 1. and 2. do indeed apply in Hans'
>particular case.

Even so, I had %option yylineno removed, also checking that line number
snippets were not invoked. And then, yylineno proved insignificant. Even
though I just timed it by hand, the sample was over about 600 lines of text.

It would probably be nice with a line counting method that does not have to
rescan the match. BTW, what happens if the match does not fit into the
buffer, which might happen if the comment is very long?

  Hans Aberg