Re: cin, cout, and cerr undefined

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: cin, cout, and cerr undefined
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:21:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Tim Zimmerlin wrote:

> The code is years old and fully operational on NT 4.0. So, I figured
> that porting it would be easy. Running flex and bison is easy, but the
> C++ compiler gives several errors rooted on cin, cout, and cerr being
> undefined.

Both your source and the version of flex you're using are a good deal
older than the compiler you're likely to have installed on that
new server box.  While the C++ language hasn't changed in that time,
the compiler's level of adherence to the language definition has.

I.e. the change that broke your program is almost certainly neither in
your source nor in flex, but in your C++ compiler.  To fix it, you need
either a new flex, an older G++, or a patch to flex'es to make it
compatible with modern compilers.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (address@hidden)