help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt]xml?

From: Scott Haug
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt]xml?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:27:53 -0700

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 07:18:40PM +0100, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

> Maybe we could do like this: the old syntax stays on, and we could
> provide an option at configuration time that uses also XML for
> specifying gengetopt options, what do you think?

Sure.  Sounds fine.

> I'm tempted to provide also the old syntax for those that are not
> interested in the power of XML or they don't feel like using it.

Makes sense, although I personally feel that the xml isn't all that more
complicated than the current syntax, and is more understandable to the
uninitiated, since all the parameters are explicitely labeled.  It is certainly
more verbose, though, and some might have a problem with that.

> Obviously the configuration file should provide something to decide
> whether it uses XML or not, but that should not be a problem as the xml
> parser will check it anyway.

Since the configuration file will either be in xml or it won't, the program
should be able to determine without too much trouble which parser to use.  No
configuration option needed.  But we can make it explicit, too, if that's what
you want.

> if you have time, please do :-)

It won't be anything fancy, but I'll try to have one drawn up in the next 48
hours.  Unless someone beats me to it.  :)

-Scott