help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] extension to gengetopt

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] extension to gengetopt
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:05:00 +0100

Matt Junker wrote:

> I often wish to have lines of text (such as headings or further explanation)
> between listed options when I use the --help option of a program.  I used to
> do this by putting newlines and tabs in the GGO help text.  This was very
> ugly.
>
> The following patch extends GGO to allow text to be inserted in an easier
> way.  I suggest adding this or something like it to getgetopt.
>
> To insert text, put
>
> #text "text to insert"
>
> in your GGO file, then you get the quoted text in your --help listing at the
> same position as it is in the GGO file.

Hi Matt

        Thanks for the patch.  I think that another char should be used instead
of #, which is used for comments.  I'll adapt the patch for this.

> For some reason, the "-l" option is required for this patch to work.

mhhh...  I'll have to check this

> I have also written a very crude GGO to man page converter by modifying the
> parser and scanner and allowing verbatim copying of specially flagged lines.
> It is currently a separate program, but with some effort someone could
> incorporate it directly into GGO (doesn't seem worth the effort to me).  Let
> me know if there is any interest.

you mean a program that generates a man page from a .ggo file?  Looks
very interesting :-)

thanks again

see you soon
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD student in Computer Science                    |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Tel +39 055 4796741, Fax +39 055 4796730           |
|  Florence - Italy         (Linux User # 158233)     |
|  Home Page        : http://w3.newnet.it/bettini     |
|  Mail             : address@hidden            |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://w3.newnet.it/bettini/purple     Cover Band  |