help-gengetopt

[help-gengetopt] Feature requests: dependencies between option values; d

From: nlohmann
Subject: [help-gengetopt] Feature requests: dependencies between option values; description of option values
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 04:37:22 -0800 (PST)

Hello!

I really like gengetopt, but I miss one feature to actually use it in a tool
of mine.

GNU BPEL2oWFN can be run in a whole different modes. I use one option
"--mode" to chose one of this modes, e.g. "--mode=net". Additionally, there
are a lot of parameters, currently invoked via "--parameter", e.g.
"--parameter=reduce".

Now I miss two features in gengetopt:

1. I would like to make certain parameters dependend on the mode chosen. For
example, parameter "reduce" should only be valid together with mode "net".
As far as I understand, I currently can only express dependence between
whole options, but not between their chosen values.

2. I would like to add descriptions not only to the option itself, but also
to the valid values. I know I could do this with "text" insertions, I like
the way gengetopt does all the wrapping and layout of the help output.

I know I could solve my problems by giving each mode value a single option,
e.g. "--net" or "--small", but I don't want to change the set of command
line parameters just because switching to gengetopt.

I hope you can help me. Again, great tool!

Cheers,
Niels.