help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Gengetopt 2.22 and --show-detailed-help

From: Tim Post
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Gengetopt 2.22 and --show-detailed-help
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 17:48:56 +0800

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 08:51 +0100, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Hi there
>
> nice to hear from you!
>
> I think I've used a standard format for help output (e.g., it can be
> used by help2man).  But I'm not sure about that... any clue anyone?

I ran gengetopt specifying the function to be main() so I could just run
it, then passed it through help2man just to be sure and it worked
without any problem.

I would think breaking that could be bad, especially for something using
gengetopt and gengen, where the gengetopt infile is also written by
another program (i.e. autoconf influenced).

This is interesting however for programs that have dozens of options,
help for those is often hard to read. I've never used the grouping
feature in gengetopt (I'm about to play with it soon), does that also
permit a ./prog --help [groupname] display?

Cheers,
--Tim