help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] Problem with compiling gengetopt on OpenSolaris

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] Problem with compiling gengetopt on OpenSolaris
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:19:33 +0200

Hi Lukas

thanks for your patch!
Actually another Opensolaris user experienced this problem, which seems to be due to how flex library is implemented in opensolaris (by googling a bit I had found other similar problems, not related to gengetopt but to programs using flex in open solaris); I wasn't able to find a solution since I can't reproduce the problem in linux (and I don't have opensolaris). Yours seems to be the solution!

However, I'd like to try to get rid of the flex library which is basically not used by gengetopt; I'll try to provide you with a new version to test.

cheers
        Lorenzo

Lukas Rovensky wrote:
Hi there,

I tried to compile gengetopt 2.22 on OpenSolaris 2008.11 (both using gcc/g++ and SunStudio cc/CC) and I got the following error during linking:

g++ -g -O2 -o gengetopt parser.o scanner.o argsdef.o cmdline.o gengetopt.o gm.o yyerror.o gm_utils.o fileutils.o acceptedvalues.o ggos.o ../gl/.libs/libgnu.a -lfl skels/.libs/libgen.a /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.so -L/usr/sfw/lib -lgcc_s -lm -Wl,-R -Wl,/usr/sfw/lib -Wl,-R -Wl,/usr/sfw/lib ld: warning: file /usr/sfw/lib/libstdc++.so: attempted multiple inclusion of file
Undefined            first referenced
 symbol                  in file
yylex                               /usr/lib/libfl.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to gengetopt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The problem is that C++ compiler creates "mangled" symbol name for yylex:

address@hidden:~/Desktop/t/gengetopt-2.22.1$ elfdump src/scanner.o | grep yylex [99] 0x00000828 0x000000f7 FUNC GLOB D 0 .text _Z13yylex_destroyv
     [111]  0x000009c8 0x00000eab  FUNC GLOB  D    0 .text _Z5yylexv
address@hidden:~/Desktop/t/gengetopt-2.22.1$ elfdump src/parser.o | grep yylex
      [81]  0x00000000 0x00000000  NOTY GLOB  D    0 UNDEF _Z5yylexv
  R_386_PC32                    0xcf2             .rel.text      _Z5yylexv

While the libfl.so expects just "yylex". I solved this issue by wrapping the lines declaring yylex function like:

#ifdef __cplusplus
    extern "C" {
#endif
extern int yylex(int);
#ifdef __cplusplus
    }
#endif

in the files parser.cc and scanner.cc.

However, when I compiled gengetopt on Ubuntu 8.10 then the code got compiled and linked without any modifications.

Am I doing something wrong (missing some parameter for configure, etc.)? I will definitely appreciate any advise.

Another option -- would you be eventually willing to accept a simple patch adding the "#ifdef __cplusplus ..." guards, so gengetopt can get directly compiled on OpenSolaris?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,
Lukas