help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] option name collision with builtin 'include' specia

From: Tim Post
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] option name collision with builtin 'include' special directive
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 13:52:15 +0800

Hi,

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 16:51 +0200, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

> if you're in crazy hurry, I suggest you to manually modify the generated
> parser and remove the use of "include" as a keyword with another string
> (e.g., "FOOBAR"), in the line
>
> if (!strcmp(fopt,"include")) {
>
> this is a dirty hack but at least will keep you going for the moment.

I hit the same wall recently and just changed it to ".include", which
seemed the most sensible choice of name space to not conflict with other
programs. I meant to report that, then got busy, then got caught up on
this list and realized that someone else had :)

> Then, we can think of a solution for this... e.g., using an escape
> character for options whose name is right "include", e.g., "\include"...

That would work, but I much prefer the simple dot, so that scripts that
operate on the build tree don't break due to (what they might perceive
to be) an 'escaped lower case i' :)

Anyway, unless you have seriously exhausted options in a program (i.e.
-. --, and +  no longer cut it), I see no conflict with ".foo" at least
in my use of gengetopt :)

Regards,
--Tim