help-gift

Re: [help-GIFT] alive?

From: David Squire
Subject: Re: [help-GIFT] alive?
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:07:01 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:55:35AM +0100, David Squire wrote:
[snip]
There is a broader point too though. I would like to encourage the idea that the feature extraction part of the GIFT should be in some way pluggable. When adding a collection, the user should be able to specify which feature extraction system he/she wants to use, and there could be multiple ones shipped with the GIFT, or others could be available from third party sites.

sounds great to me. porting my code to imagemagick as we speak.

a pluggable system might be in order BEFORE we make a release, as my code performs 2/9ths WORSE on a non-sse2 enabled machine.
Agreed. I was thinking of this issue. BTW, is there an environment variable or other system resource that could be checked so that the right choice of default is made during installation?
I guess that this would mean that (at least) an attribute would have to be added to the collection element in the gift-config.mrml file so that the system could be aware of whether features are comensurate for different collections.

personally, i'd love to see some documentation on the feature file format, and a "clean reference implimentation". i've overhauled your code, and i still cant make heads or tails out of some of it. comments would be nice. ;)
Hey! There are lots of comments :) Of which parts in particular would you like a more detailed explanation?

I am fairly sure there was a discussion about this a few years ago, either on this list, or via email - I will have a look for it.

This would make it easier for various GIFT users to share their specializations of the system (e.g. I have a version that uses annotations too, and I know that Henning has done stuff using a greater number of greys, more texture orientations, etc.)

i'd be interested in seeing some of this work as well, as my input images are all greyscale.
Check out publications etc. available via http://www.sim.hcuge.ch/medgift/. I've you've got greyscale images, you definitely don't want to be using the default GIFT features (unless texture is the only important thing for you).

Cheers,

David

--
Dr David McG. Squire,  Senior Lecturer, on sabbatical in 2006
Caulfield School of Information Technology, Monash University, Australia