help-global

Ruby parser

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Ruby parser
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 10:45:29 -0600

Hi,

I would like to create a utility that parses Ruby files and creates both the
reference and definition (and any other pieces) for a global database.  i.e. I
basically want to create a gtags program for Ruby.

I don't know how the integration will work because I will need key pieces from
Ruby (Matz' implementation) but we can figure that out later.

Is there a good reference that tells me how to create the three files that
gtags creates?  It is also not clear what types of relationships can be
represented in these files.  I see on the ToDo list to add the ability to
understand class structures.  Is that being done?  Or are there some well
thought out and detailed plans on how to do it?  Ruby could take advantage of
that to some degree.

I'm not need help from this list for the Ruby part of the puzzle... just the
Global parts.  How are the three files created?  etc.

Thank you,
Perry Smith