help-global

can gtags be enhanced to find where a symbol is being modified?

From: Gautam Thaker
Subject: can gtags be enhanced to find where a symbol is being modified?
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 16:39:32 -0400

I have been a long time gtags/global/ggtags.el use and love it.  When I use ggtags.el to find all the locations where a particular symbol is referenced, I wish it were possible to ask to be shown all the places where the symbol is being "modified" (written to.)

Ideally, I wish either GRTAGS (or elsewhere) the following entries can be generated:

Symbol   Read/Write   function file_name  line_number

we can then, with some simple arg flag (^u for example?) only search for symbol where it is being modified, possibly restricting it to just the current function an/or current file.

How hard would this be to do? I am willing to do some of the work if guided. Also, when I use

gtags --sqlite3, the GRTAGS file  seems essentially empty. (I have built gtags with --with-sqlilte).