help-global

Re: Other languajes support

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Other languajes support
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 00:35:00 +0100

Hi:

Thanks for replying. I have a couple of other questions.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 11:01:49AM +0900, Shigio YAMAGUCHI wrote:
Hello,
After I implemented the gtags-mode for emacs, now I am forced to work
with C# on MS-Windows. Which adds two new levels of complexity to the
problem.

1) I know that, to use C#, I need to use the universal-ctags backend; but I
don't find any clear guide on how to do it, or even if it worth trying
for C#. For example, will gtags recognize the .cs extension
automatically or some extra option is needed?

This two step approach is a bit complicated for a common user (and the
aproach I want for the emacs package), so I will try to minimize the
number of steps to simplify things in the gtags-mode package.

I also try to avid using environment variables because in Emacs+Tramp
the remote environment variables are a bit tricky and may become
problematic to handle. SO let's make this the plan C.

1) Is possible to do everything in a single step with the command line?
I don't care if the command becomes long.

I tried the --gtagslabel=universal-ctags

But there is some problem with this option. Somehow it is not working
for me... when I use the --explain it still shows the built-in ones

3) Isn't gtags capable to find the ctags executable in my path? it is
not in /usr/local/bin/ctags, but it is in the PATH... so only ctags
works for me.

3.1) Is there something similar for ctagscom but from command line?

Best regards, and thanks again,
Ergus

Yes, gtags recognizes the .cs extension.
Please try this:

1. Copy the config file and change it to match your environment.

[in your project]
$ cp /usr/local/share/gtags/gtags.conf .
$ vi gtags.conf
universal-ctags|setting to use Universal Ctags plug-in parser:\
ctagscom=/usr/local/bin/ctags:\ <===== change the path of ctags

2. Execute gtags

$ export GTAGSLABEL=universal-ctags <===== use Universal ctags
$ gtags

To make sure it's working properly, please use --explain option.

$ gtags --explain
- File 'global/global.c' is handled as follows:
suffix:   |.c|
language: |C|
parser:   |parser|
library:  |/usr/local/lib/gtags/universal-ctags.la| <=== universal
ctags is used.
$ _
2) On the other hand, MS-Windows is not POSIX and gtags page specifies
POSIX somewhere, but I saw that there is a gtags/global package in msys,
So, the obvious question: Any previous experience of gtags working on
ms-windows outside cygwin?

The main goal is to make it work in a native MS-windows emacs, not in a
cygwing controlled environment. And then make it work for C# with
univ-ctags.

Sorry,I don't know about MS-Windows.

Regards,
Shigio

After I implemented the gtags-mode for emacs, now I am forced to work
with C# on MS-Windows. Which adds two new levels of complexity to the
problem.

1) I know that, to use C#, I need to use the universal-ctags backend; but I
don't find any clear guide on how to do it, or even if it worth trying
for C#. For example, will gtags recognize the .cs extension
automatically or some extra option is needed?

2) On the other hand, MS-Windows is not POSIX and gtags page specifies
POSIX somewhere, but I saw that there is a gtags/global package in msys,
So, the obvious question: Any previous experience of gtags working on
ms-windows outside cygwin?

The main goal is to make it work in a native MS-windows emacs, not in a
cygwing controlled environment. And then make it work for C# with
univ-ctags.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ergus

--