[Help-glpk] optimisation problem

From: Mullen Michael (IE)
Subject: [Help-glpk] optimisation problem
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:48:07 +0100

I am trying to solve the following optimisation problem using GLPK and
Matlab( linked by GLPKmex). Is there an easy way to formulate and solve
this problem.

The Problem is as follows:

m is the number of candidate base station sites such that S=1 to m
n is the number of test points such that set of test points I= 1 to n
Y(j) is a decision variable, 1 if a base station is installed in j for
j is element of S , 0 otherwise
X(i,j) is 1 if test point i is assigned to Base station j, 0 otherwise.
C(j) is the cost of the installation of the base station
G(i,j) is the propagation factor of the radio link between test point
1, 1<=i<=n and a candidate site j,i<=j<=m

Using a pseudo random number generator, each candidate site j and each
TP i is assigned a position with uniform distribution in the service
area.

Minimize the overall cost and get the minimum number of base stations
required to cover the service area.
I think a basic model is :

min sum{j}C(j)*Y(j) + sum{i,j}X(i,j)/G(i,j)

subject to

sum{j}X(i,j)=1, i element of I
&
X(i,j)<=Y(j), i element of I, j element of S

This E-mail is from O2. The E-mail and any files
transmitted with it are confidential and may also be privileged and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised direct or indirect dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received the E-mail in error please notify address@hidden or telephone ++ 353 1 6095000.