[Help-glpk] Clean method for GLPK detection in autoconf script

From: François Galea
Subject: [Help-glpk] Clean method for GLPK detection in autoconf script
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:22:30 +0200

Hi,

I upgraded from GLPK 4.13 to GLPK 4.15, and it caused trouble in one of my autotools'ed packages. The GLPK detection method I included in my configure.ac script was looking like the following :

AC_CHECK_LIB([glpk], [glp_lpx_create_prob],
    [AC_DEFINE([HAVE_LIBGLPK], [1],
               [Defined if you have libglpk])
     MODULES="${MODULES} glpk"
    ])

This way it detects a glp_lpx_create_prob function in an eventually existing libglpk library file. Indeed, exported GLPK function names have a "glp_" prefix before each function name.

Since GLPK 4.15 the function prefix has changed, now it is "_glp_". Thus, my detection method doesn't work anymore, and if I change glp_lpx_create_prob to _glp_lpx_create_prob, my package won't detect earlier releases of GLPK.

Hence my questions : why are the exported function names different than the documented ones, and why have they changed ? is there a clean and standard method for GLPK detection in configure.ac scripts ?

thanks,

François.