Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK 4.31 + exported symbols

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] GLPK 4.31 + exported symbols
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:00:04 +0400

> I just uploaded the Debian package for GLPK 4.31 [1].  This version fixes
> the assertion bug reported by a Debian user [2], thanks.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-changes/2008/09/msg00167.html
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/490288

> In version 4.30-1 of the Debian package, I started using dpkg-gensymbols, a
> nifty Debian tool to check changes in the list of symbols exported by shared
> libraries.  Its execution failed for the glpk package because there was
> substantial changes in the list of symbols between 4.30 and 4.31, all of
> them due to the suppression of _glp_* symbols.

> I think we talked in the past about the problem of exporting internal
> symbols in the shared library file.  Digging a little around, I noticed that
> there is an option in libtool to restrict the list of exporting symbols. The
> patch attached below seems to fix the problem by restricting the list to
> symbols respecting the regular expression "^glp_.*".

Probably it is not sufficient, since the octave interface module uses
some deprecated glpk api routines prefixed with 'lpx_' whose names are
then replaced with '_glp_lpx_' by the preprocessor (to make the
namespace clean). I think that the glpk shared library should include
exactly those external (exported) symbols which are defined in glpk.h,
i.e. prefixed with 'glp_' (documented api routines) and with '_glp_lpx'
(obsolete api routines kept for backward compatibility).