Re: [Help-glpk] "Exception in thread ProcessManager"

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] "Exception in thread ProcessManager"
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:25:39 +0400

> I am using glpk to find an optimal solution to assign n stations to m
> servers. I get the following error: "Exception in thread ProcessManager".

> In fact, I am running a java program on unix server. In this program, I call
> glpsol by: "Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(glpsol ...)"
> and each time I do "p.destroy()". In each iteration, I increase the number
> of variables. For example, let suppose that I have 100 servers
> et x stations. With a loop "for", I increase the number of stations from 10
> to 200 (for x=10 to 200 do{...}). The problem is, when I
> have around 100 or 110 stations, I get the error "Exception in thread
> ProcessManager" and the program stops.

> I notice, that if execute the java program without calling glpsol, I have no
> errors even I reach 500 stations. So, the problem appears when I call
> glpsol.

> Could you please help me to resolve this issue.

Normally glpsol writes some information about the solution process to
the terminal (i.e. to stdout). Could you check the glpsol output which
immediately precedes the crash? The last two messages must be "Time
used:" and "Memory used:". If you see them, the error happens out of
glpsol. If not, please write your instance which causes the error in mps
format (use the option '--wmps filename') and post it to me. Thanks.

Andrew Makhorin