Re: [Help-glpk] ANNOUNCEMENT: OptimJ solver link for GLPK/Java

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] ANNOUNCEMENT: OptimJ solver link for GLPK/Java
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 06:32:27 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello GLPK list

I just applied to Ateji, via their website, for a copy
of their free 'OptimJ' version.  They kindly send me
what is probably a Microsoft Windows security key,
judging by the file extension, its binary contents, and
their description, plus instructions for downloading
the main archive.

I think the Ateji team is being a little disingenuous
on this one -- see the forwarded message immediately
below.  As far as I can tell, the free 'OptimJ' version
is only free in the sense that no money changes hands
-- it is not free in the Free Software Foundation
sense:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Definition

I am not suggesting that Ateji is breaking the GNU
GPLv3 through this process -- although I have no
special knowledge in this regard.

But it would help if Atieji could word their
communications with a little more precision -- in
particular, their response to Larry D'Agostino's
inquiry, in my view, could be interpreted as
misleading.

best wishes
Robbie