Re: [Help-glpk] DIMACS, mincost and GLPSOL

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] DIMACS, mincost and GLPSOL
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 02:10:16 +0400

> I am trying to run an assignment problem.  I created the DIMACS
> "mincost" file, I used the "glpsol --mincost filename" option.
> Everything runs, but I'm not sure if it's using the out-of-kilter
> algorithm or the Simplex.  It kinda seems like the simplex, see below
> for the first few lines and last few lines.  If it is using the
> Simplex, does GLPSOL have an option for call the out-of-kilter method?
> I couldn't find it in the documentation.

The --mincost option only means that the input data is in dimacs format.
Currently to solve the mincost instance glpsol converts it to LP and
calls the simplex solver, which is not much efficient in this case. To
use the out-of-kilter algorithm you need to write a simple main program,
which calls glp_read_mincost and then glp_mincost_okalg. Please see an
example of such program on page 32 in the document "GLPK: Graph and
Network Routines" included in the distribution (doc/graphs.pdf).