Re: [Help-glpk] Option to set to generate all solutions

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Option to set to generate all solutions
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 05:46:34 +1200 (NZST)

Hi all, hello Jordan

To:          jordan <address@hidden>
From:        Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden>
Date:        Mon, 11 Apr 2011 19:58:34 +0400

>> I'm actually using GLPK and I want to know if it is possible to set an
>> option in the source code for the C API, or in the file for a GMPL file,
>> in order to say "I want all the solutions".
>>
>> I heard about re-lunch the programm with adding a constraint which is
>> the last solution, but I don't think it's a good thing.
>> Does somebody have the answer ?
>
> Such feature is not implemented mainly because there
> may be exponentially many basic solutions. Besides,
> unlike LP case, it would be quite difficult to
> enumerate all integer feasible/optimal solutions.
>
> Nevertheless, imagine that you have obtained all the
> feasible or optimal solutions. In which way would you
> use them?

This kind of question comes up quite often.  So I
started a wikibook entry to deal with the issue of
enumerating solutions more generally:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Sandbox_%28for_content_under_development%29

Can knowledgeable people check/extend the content.
Once more settled, I will move the text to the modeling
tips page:

  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Modeling_tips

many thanks in advance, Robbie
---
Robbie Morrison
PhD student -- policy-oriented energy system simulation
Technical University of Berlin (TU-Berlin), Germany
University email (redirected) : address@hidden
Webmail (preferred)           : address@hidden
[from Webmail client]