[Help-glpk] We live in a world of hidden inequalities

From: Nigel Galloway
Subject: [Help-glpk] We live in a world of hidden inequalities
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 03:46:16 -0700

Don't worry, I think this has nothing to do with global economics or
worldwide peace.

I have a model which, when run, glpk advises me that it has discovered
162 hidden inequalities. I assume in the model and not the world,
because 162 would seem small for the world. Also the numbr varies with
the data I supply to the model and its difficult to see how that would
affect the world.

What are they? Both in a general sense, what are hidden inequalities?
and in the particular case of my model, how do I investigate them?

Are they a good or a bad thing? The model works quickly and produces
correct answers. Should every model have some? How have I induced them?

LPs for a long time have had only two objectives, min and max, and they
are really the same. Perhaps it is time for a new objective to find the
data with the minimum hidden inequalities, which is presumably the
fairest solution.

--
  Nigel Galloway
  address@hidden