Re: [Help-glpk] Indicator constraints

From: Nigel Galloway
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Indicator constraints
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 06:12:28 -0800

The following:

http://hutchies.iconbar.com/bigm.html

reaches an interesting conclusion:

Some would say that the Big M method is utterly needless and fiddly and
begs to be destroyed from human knowledge. Others would counter that it
removes the need for two objective functions in two-stage simplex and
that its premises are actually rather elegant. I am inclined to agree
with the former party; however, since it is a proven fact that most
mathematicians are insane intelligence-masochists, forever seeking
techniques that will cause their minds yet more pain, it seems unlikely
that this method will disappear in the foreseeable future. I hope this
explanation of its workings has given the reader the reserves of courage
and understanding needed for them to weather the difficult period until
the happy day when Big M is once again no more than a letter of the
alphabet.

I think (I won't comment on agreement or otherwise with the above, other
than to say 1) former sounds good to me; 2) I assume he means the Arabic
Alphabet rather than the Bulgarian, aka azbuka):

GLPK already implements part of a surreal number system, with minimum
mip gap, which allows one to define a number smaller than any positive
number in the number system but greater than zero. Whats required is a
number greater than any number in the number system, such that any
operation performed on it results in a number outside the real number
system.

--
  Nigel Galloway
  address@hidden