Re: [Help-glpk] Parallelisation of MILP

From: glpk xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Parallelisation of MILP
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:48:20 +0200

Hello Esma,

yes parallelization of MIP solving is possible and reportedly beneficial.

Different approaches exist, e.g.
- parallelization of the solution of the LPs of different nodes using
  the different cores of the CPU
- parallelization of the simplex algorithm making use of the CPU

http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/Prog_Lang_Docs/cplex80/doc/userman/html/moreUsing31.html
- parallelization of the simplex algorithm making use of the GPU
  http://homepages.laas.fr/elbaz/PCO11.pdf

GLPK is not threadsafe and hence cannot easily be used for parallelization.
Making GLPK threadsafe would require major design changes.

Best regards

Xypron

-------- Original-Nachricht --------