RE: [Fwd: help for glpk]

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Fwd: help for glpk]
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 02:11:31 +0000

There are other fast solvers.  Two open source instances are CBC and SCIP.  And
there are faster commercial solvers (Gurobi, Xpress, Ilog/Cplex).  And more.

However, if you want to get a 5-10 times speedup, is it because you intend to
solve many of these types of problems?  If so, consider:

- Using multiple processes at the same time (GLPK by itself isn't
multi-threaded, but you could execute glpsol many times)

- Using 'warm start'.  If the problems only differs by the objective function,
then using the optimal basis from the last problem solved to be the initial
basis of the next problem may reduce execution time.  Using the dual simplex,
you could do this if only the RHS changes each time.

- If you are using GMPL (the AMPL-like language that is part of GLPK) and then
glpsol.exe, then write a CPLEX-like .lp file directly and call glpsol.exe
passing that .lp file, and skipping .mod file.