Re: specially ordered sets variables in Mathprog

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: specially ordered sets variables in Mathprog
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 15:28:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:

I'd like to know whether Mathprog supports (or is there any plan to support) SOS (special ordered sets) variables, at least type 1.

I often use mathprog and glpsol to convert MILP problems (actually, BLP mostly) for other solvers (CBC, CPLEX), and I'm seeing these other solvers support these types of variables, what makes me think that there might be some advantages in formalizing a problem this way, as perhaps the solver might be quicker in scanning through the possible branches etc... I mean, using the SOS1 native formalization, instead of equivalent formulations as in

As noted by wikibooks, if one has binary variables,
SOS1 is equivalent to a single additional linear constraint.

My understanding is that some solvers that will handle
SOS1 constraints on continuous variables directly
without auxillary variables, but I do not know which.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLPK/Modeling_tips#Special_ordered_sets

--
Michael   hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,