Re: Color in text console

From: lex
Subject: Re: Color in text console
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:27:34 +0100

At Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:15:17 -0600 (CST),
Harold W. Baldwin <hbaldwin@jaguar1.usouthal.edu> wrote:

> Chive (et. al.) -
>
> I too would like GNU Emacs to do color in a text console.  In fact it would
> also be nice if one could change the size and shape of the cursor.
> However, until color appears (hopefully) in the next major version of
> Emacs, here are some options and suggestions:
>
> 1.  Emacs on DOS will do color.  The trick is to set TERM=internal in the
> environment.  For information on DOS Emacs, see:
> www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq1.html#support-msdos.

DOS? What's that? :-P
Seriously, though. No. Hmm.

> 2.  Presumably DOS Emacs on Dosemu will likewise do color, although I
> haven't tried it.  I suppose you'd have to set TERM as above and it might
> be helpful to use some of the Dosemu switches (see  man dos).  Also take a
> look at DEXE which comes with Dosemu.  As I understand it, it gives a kind
> of "one shot" Dos emulation to permit running a single program.
>
> 3.  Look at  setterm  (for info do  setterm -h).  It won't really do what
> you want but it will enable the setting of the background and foreground
> colors as well as some other things, so the screen won't be quite so stark.
>
> 4.  You might also look at www.emacs.org under download/emacs contrib.
> There seem to be some programs in some of the directories which might be
> helpful, although a quick look at them suggests they're for emacs on X.

Thanks for the help, at least it was nice to get a nice answer. I feel it
quite frustrating to spend time searching the FAQ and get answered
with "It must be the single most frequently asked question.".

I'll just stick with XEmacs, and maybe get back at GNU Emacs when it
does support colors in tty (no, there is no way I will ever use DOS
again. Or Windows. Or MacOs. Or BeOS. Or FreeBSD. er, oops, wrong
one ;-)

--
Chive