Re: M-x goto-line binding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: M-x goto-line binding
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:58:36 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Kalyan K. Mukherjea  wrote:

> I tried your suggestion of binding C-xg to go-to-line, exactly
> according to your recipe.
>  It didn't work: in
> fact, when I did C-x C-e to evaluate the last expression I got some kind
> of error.

What error?  Please always tell what error messages do you see.

The following is straight out of my .emacs file, and it works for me all
the time:

(global-set-key "\C-xg" 'goto-line)

> Isn't/shouldn't this /be an interactive command?

goto-line is already an interactive function.

> In Xemacs M-g gives the echo line message: Go to line? One enters the line
> no. from and presses RET.

The same happens in Emacs.  I just pressed "C-x g", and got a prompt in
the echo area saying "Goto line: ".