grep feature-request

From: Jan Tegtmeier
Subject: grep feature-request
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:07:11 +0100

Hi,

I want to submit a feature-request for the grep-utility:

Background:
-----------------
I have to split logfiles by something. I have to run
# cat logfile|grep "matchcode" > logfile-part1
# cat logfile|grep -v "matchcode" > logfile-part2

Feature:
A parameter to indicate that non-matching-lines are written to stderr
instead of skipping them.

Solution:
With this switch (e.g. -X) you could speed up this and only execute
# cat logfile|grep -X "matchcode" > logfile-part1 2> logfile-part2

Regards,
  Jan Tegtmeier
  NetGate Internetservice / Germany