minibuffer height

From: Todd Wells
Subject: minibuffer height
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:07:47 -0800

I would like my minibuffer to be 2 lines or better yet, auto-expand as
necessary as sometimes I use files with long pathnames that run off the
screen and leave me unable to see what emacs is prompting me for.

I've tried some of the various related variables, but I haven't had any
success ... I've tried the following (they weren't all remmed before):

(setq resize-minibuffer-mode 1)
(setq resize-minibuffer-frame 2)
(setq resize-minibuffer-window-max-height 4)
;(setq resize-minibuffer-window-exactly 2)
;(setq resize-minibuffer-frame-exactly 2)

It seems no matter what combination of these I try, I only get one line for
my minibuffer and since I regularly use files with really long pathnames, I
can't see the prompt.  Ideally, the mini-buffer would just auto-expand from
1 line to however many were necessary (I guess I'm surprised that it doesn't
do this by default).

-Todd