Re: Tracing matching parentheses / braces

From: Gerald . Jean
Subject: Re: Tracing matching parentheses / braces
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:53:27 -0500

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Lord Emsworth wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way to trace a corresponding pair of braces / parentheses
> in Emacs?
>
> I know that when you type the ending parenthesis, Emacs shows the
> matching opening parenthesis. But what about when the document to be
> edited is already written out (say a pre-existing C++ file)? And what
> does one do if one is at the opening brace and wants to find out the
> matching closing brace?

I have an elisp package called "mic-paren", by Mikael Sjödin, which
highlight everything within parenthesis, braces, etc. when positioned at
either end of the parenthesis' grouping; if this is beyond the scope of the
current window the matching parenthesis is displayed in the minibuffer.

"mic-paren.el" can be found at:
http://www.anc.ed.ac.uk/~stephen/emacs/ell.html

Gérald Jean
Analyste-conseil (statistiques), Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean@spgdag.ca

"In God we trust all others must bring data"