Auto-indent new lines?

From: Mark Newby
Subject: Auto-indent new lines?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:08:11 -0000

How can I make Emacs and/or XEmacs on Win32 automatically indent new lines
to that of the current line?

All I've found is the C-j command which, when used in place of RET, does the
job, but only seems to work using Emacs on Linux.

I even try setting the major mode to a programming language mode using M-x
html-mode for example, but it still doesn't work --even worse still, it
disables my TAB key ...arggghhhh!  Even c-mode, c++-mode, sh-mode don't
auto-indent new lines.  All other editors or IDEs do this by default, why
not Emacs?

What am I doing wrong?  Is there a global setting of some kind?  If not,
where can I find an editor that adheres to the basic programmer need of
auto-indentation?

Mark