cygwin / ssh / emacs term type issue

From: Todd Wells
Subject: cygwin / ssh / emacs term type issue
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:13:56 -0800

Okay this is a little tricky...

I'm running cygwin bash on Win2k.  While running cygwin I use ssh to connect
to both linux and solaris machines.  When I attempt to run emacs -nw on the
remote machines, I get this:

bash-2.03$ emacs -nw my_filename
emacs: Terminal type cygwin is not defined.
If that is not the actual type of terminal you have,
use the Bourne shell command `TERM=... export TERM' (C-shell:
`setenv TERM ...') to specify the correct type.  It may be necessary
to do `unset TERMINFO' (C-shell: `unsetenv TERMINFO') as well.

Since in this case I'm not actually running emacs on the Win2k machine, the
traditional FAQ answer for NT emacs/cygwin integration don't seem to apply.
For grins I tried export TERM=vt100, but that emulation mode didn't seem ssh
compatible and I got unpredictable results.

Ideas?

-Todd