Re: Cyrillic characters

From: Sergei Astanin
Subject: Re: Cyrillic characters
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:53:00 +0400

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:07:46 +0200
jean-michel le bot <jeanmichel.lebot@free.fr> wrote:

Hello, Jean-Michel!

JMLB> OK but cyrillic characters (and hebrew, and chinese, and japanese...)
JMLB> don't appear on the screen anymore. Only empty boxes appear :-(
JMLB> What can I do to have at the same time big enough font and cyrillic
JMLB> characters appearing on the screen ?
JMLB>
JMLB> Thanks
JMLB> Jean-Michel

Yes, you are doing right when set the cyrillic language environment. And this
is why you see empty boxes instead of letters. The emacs knows it cannot
display cyrillic letters with the current font and displays that boxes.

So, you need a cyrillic fonts. For example if you are an X user, you may get
one from
ftp://ftp.asplinux.ru/pub/i386/RPMS/XFree86-cyrillic-fonts-4.0.3-2.0.asp.i386.rpm.
It may happen you already have them installed or have them in your own
Mandrake distribution.

You may select the font with SHIFT-Mouse1 in the emacs window. If that doesn't
work (it's likely you don't have russian locale installed) consider changing
your .Xdefaults file and using your favourite font. My .Xdefaults looks like.

*Emacs.font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-koi8-r
*Emacs.Background: DarkSlateGray
*Emacs.Foreground: Wheat
*Emacs.pointerColor: Orchid
*Emacs.cursorColor: Orchid
*Emacs.bitmapIcon: on

You may use xfontsel to select the appropriate font. Another way is using -fn
option from the command line.

--
Best regards
Sergei Astanin, sergei@dgap.mipt.ru