Re: line numbering

From: Joss Winn
Subject: Re: line numbering
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 02:07:14 +0900

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:39:10 -0700
> Raghava Kashyapa <kashyapa@eecs.wsu.edu> wrote:
>
> RK> Hi!
> RK>   Could anyone tell me if its possible to directly jump to a specific
> RK> line no.
> RK>
> RK> I know theres something like M-X goto-line exists. But is there a
> RK> short-cut? Or is there a way to define a short-cut in your .emacs file?
> RK>
> RK> Thanks!
> RK>
> RK> Raghava
>
> Hello, Raghava!
>
> Yes, of courses there is a way. For example I have it in my .emacs:
>
> (global-set-key [f3] 'goto-line)
>
> You may read info documentation about syntax of keys' naming.
>
> BR, Sergei

Hello, thanks for that tip.  That was useful to know.  I have a related
question.  I use BBEdit as well as emacs and one feature I would
like in emacs is to have the line numbers displayed on the left of
my screen.  Not only where my cursor is but literally line numbers
down the side of my screen.  The goto function is useful, but would
be more useful if I knew exacly what line I needed to go to.

is this possible?

Thank you
Joss
--