announce: crypt++.el 2.89 available

From: karl
Subject: announce: crypt++.el 2.89 available
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 10:58:16 -0400

Just a note announcing version 2.89 of crypt++.el, an Emacs Lisp package
for doing automatic (de)compression when visiting files in Emacs.

Emacs 20 has features already for compression and decoding support,
but some of us are still attached to crypt++.

This version supports gpg and fixes a bug with encrypted files starting
with a blank line (thanks to David Hull), and fixes other coding-system
related bugs.

Also, for reliable operation, we now have to do:
  (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.gz\\'" 'no-conversion)
  (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.Z\\'" 'no-conversion)
  (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.bz\\'" 'no-conversion)
  (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.bz2\\'" 'no-conversion)

Otherwise, Emacs may tamper with the bytes according to its
eol conversion rules before crypt++ ever sees them.

The above won't help for files without those extensions.  You just have
to specify the no-conversion coding system manually when visiting those
files, or set no-conversion for all files if that suits you.

You can get it by ftp from ftp://ftp.cs.umb.edu/pub/misc/crypt++.el.
I've also posted it to gnu.emacs.sources.
As always, thanks to all the contributors.

If anyone would like to take over maintenance of this, please let me
know :).

Thanks,
karl@gnu.org